Founders Professor; Distinguished Lecturer in Behavioral and Brain Sciences

PhD, (D.Med.Sci.) Karolinska Institut, (School of Medicine), Stockholm, Sweden

Sensory Neuroscience and Plasticity

JO 4.216

972-883-4306 phone

amoller@utdallas.edu email

Personal Website website

About Aage Moller

Since completion of my doctor of medical sciences degree my research interests have concerned sensory systems, mainly hearing. More recently my interests have turned to systems neuroscience focusing on disorders of the nervous system. I have studied the role of neural plasticity in general and especially in the auditory system and its role in disorders that have tinnitus, hyperacusis and chronic pain as symptoms. I have also studied autism and the involvement of non-classical auditory pathways.

I am the author of fifteen (single author) books on hearing science, intraoperative neurophysiologic monitoring and neuroscience; a book that concerns healthcare, "The Malleable Brain," 2009 and a textbook on pain. I am editor or co-editor of nine published books, author or co-author of 202 articles in refereed journals, 105 book chapters and many review articles, etc. I was Editor-in-Chief (and founder) of the international journal, "Hearing Research" for 27 years (1978-2005). I am member of the Editorial Board of several other international journals. I am interested in teaching and I have developed new courses that I teach regularly, such as "Neural Plasticity and Disorders of the Nervous System," "Sensory System," "Functional Human Neuroanatomy," and "Anatomical and Physiologic Basis of Pain." I also teach courses in the "Scientific Publishing and Writing," and "Physiological Basis for Intraoperative Neurophysiologic Monitoring," the only university-based course on the topic in the USA. I received The University of Texas at Dallas: "The President's Teaching Excellence Award" for the 2010-2011 Academic Year.

I am member of several international research organizations, and am chairman of the "Board of Directors" and member of the "Scientific Advisory Board" of the Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) Foundation, an international organization for research on tinnitus, based in Germany and in the USA.

Research Interests

I am particularly interested in neural plasticity and its role in tinnitus, hyperacusis, phonophobia and misophonia.

Recent Publications

Møller, A.R. Pain: Its Anatomy, Physiology and Treatment, Aage R. Møller Publishing, 2011, 364 pages ISBN-10: 1466395109 | ISBN-13: 978-1466395107.

Møller, A.R. Hearing: Anatomy, physiology, and disorders of the auditory system, 3rd Edition, 415 pages. Plural Publishing, Inc. 2012. ISBN-13: 978-1-59756-427-4, ISBN-10: 1-59756-427-3.

Engineer ND, Møller AR, Kilgard MP. Directing neural plasticity to understand and treat tinnitus. Hear Res. 2013 Jan; 295(1-2):58-66