The University of Texas at Dallas School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences

Crystal T. Engineer

Assistant Professor

Research Interests

Auditory processing, autism spectrum disorders, plasticity, speech perception, and neuromodulation

Curriculum Vitae

Contact

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 972-883-7246
Office: BSB_14.562
Campus Mail Code: BSB14

Biography

My lab is focused on understanding and improving the auditory processing impairments observed in neurodevelopmental disorders, such as autism. My current research interest is developing novel adjunctive interventions that can increase the neural and behavioral benefits of auditory rehabilitation therapies. Students in my lab have the opportunity to work on projects involving auditory processing deficits, interventions to improve auditory processing, and neural plasticity across the auditory system.

Recent and Selected Representative Publications

Recent Articles in Peer-Refereed Journals

Borland MS, Vrana WA, Moreno NA, Fogarty EA, Buell EP, Vanneste S, Kilgard MP, Engineer CT. (2019). Pairing vagus nerve stimulation with tones drives plasticity across the auditory pathway. Journal of Neurophysiology, 122(2), 659 - 671.

Engineer CT, Hays SA, Kilgard MP. (2017) Vagus nerve stimulation as a potential adjuvant to behavioral therapy for autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders. Journal of Neurodevelopmental Disorders, 9:20. PMCID: PMC5496407.

Engineer CT, Engineer ND, Riley JR, Seale JD, Kilgard MP. (2015) Pairing speech sounds with vagus nerve stimulation drives stimulus-specific cortical plasticity. Brain Stimulation, 8(3), 637-644. PMCID:PMC4461522.

Engineer CT, Centanni TM, Im KW, Kilgard MP. (2014) Speech sound discrimination training improves auditory cortex responses in a rat model of autism. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, 8:137. PMCID:PMC4122159.

Engineer CT, Perez CA, Chen YH, Carraway RS, Reed AC, Shetake JA, Jakkamsetti V, Chang KQ, Kilgard MP. (2008) Cortical activity patterns predict speech discrimination ability. Nature Neuroscience, 11, 603-608. PMCID:PMC2951886.

View more of Crystal Engineer’s publications