Media Highlights 2022

Dallas Innovates

UTD’s Dr. Amy Pinkham Picked to Head Global Initiative to Standardize Schizophrenia Assessment

Dec 9, 2022

“It’s a huge amount of work, but I think it’s work that can be really impactful if we do it well. Social cognition is the process by which you understand other people.” — Dr. Amy Pinkham, professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

The Dallas Morning News

UT Dallas Neuroscientist Leads National Project to Understand the Origins of Pain

Dec 8, 2022

“It’s really exciting to work with these other great groups on what is a very new kind of project for the pain field. I don’t think there’s ever been a big project quite like this — aimed at describing the human pain system at this level of detail.” — Dr. Theodore Price, professor of neuroscience at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

Forbes health

Tinnitus Hearing Aids: Features, Costs And More

Dec 8, 2022

“People considering hearing aids for tinnitus should also note other expenses associated with hearing aids, such as batteries, cleaning services and repairs.” — Dr. Jackie Clark, clinical professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences and past president of the American Academy of Audiology.

Sci Tech Daily

New Study Reveals How Childhood Fears Play Role in Future Anxiety and Depression

Dec 5, 2022

“We know that inhibited children are more likely to have anxiety disorders later, particularly social anxiety, that begins in late childhood to adolescence. Less has been known about depression, which generally has a later onset, in young adulthood.” — Dr. Alva Tang, assistant professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

Study Finds

Eating Fattening Food, Even if You’re in Good Health, Can Trigger Pain

Nov 23, 2022

“This study indicates you don’t need obesity to trigger pain; you don’t need diabetes; you don’t need a pathology or injury at all. Eating a high-fat diet for a short period of time is enough – a diet similar to what almost all of us in the U.S. eat at some point.” — Dr. Michael Burton, assistant professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

Dallas Innovates

With New Center, UT Dallas Researchers Are Looking Into the Molecular Causes of Pain

Nov 2, 2022

“The data we will generate on the cells that comprise the first part of the human pain pathway will fundamentally change the way that we think about pain and how we develop therapeutics.” — Dr. Theodore Price, professor of neuroscience at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

ED Times

Studies Suggest Inhibition In Teenage Years Can Lead To Future Depression

Nov 2, 2022

“We know that inhibited children are more likely to have anxiety disorders later, particularly social anxiety, that begins in late childhood to adolescence.” — Dr. Alva Tang, assistant professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

The Washington Post

Listen Up: You Can Now Buy Hearing Aids Without a Prescription

Oct 16, 2022

“There will be more people that will move away from the denial aspect because financial issues have kept people away from hearing aids. It will move that needle closer to recognition.” — Jackie Clark, clinical professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences and past president of the American Academy of Audiology.

A Guiding Hand for Patients, Family Facing Hearing Loss

Oct 12, 2022

“Following the diagnosis of hearing loss, we want to be a resource not only for our patients, but also for their families who want to know what they can do to help their child live their best life.” — Stephanie Williams AuD’08, a member of the clinical staff at the Callier Center for Communication Disorders.

KERA News

Good Sleep and Good Friends Are Good for Your Brain. UT Dallas’ New Project Will Prove It

Sep 28, 2022

“We want people to really become empowered to take agency in changing their brain. It’s what’s really going to help us flourish in life, our brain skills.” — Dr. Sandra Bond Chapman, Dee Wyly Distinguished University Chair and professor and founder and chief director at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences’ Center for BrainHealth.

Spectrum

Noah Sasson: Connecting With the Autistic Community

Sep 15, 2022

“The only things that really seem to break down racial, discriminatory attitudes and things like that is protracted, meaningful interaction with people.” — Dr. Noah Sasson, associate professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

FDA Clears Way for Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Sales

Aug 17, 2022

“Decreased hearing ability affects multiple activities of daily living and can have a pervasive impact on quality of life. Even people with minimal hearing loss may exhibit increased stress due to difficulty communicating.” — Dr. Angela Shoup, professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences and Executive Director, Callier Center for Communication Disorders.

The Dallas Morning News

UT Dallas Researchers Explore Treatment to Improve PTSD Recovery

Aug 15, 2022

“When we are in a high-stress situation, the vagus nerve tells our brain: This is an important event. Store this memory so you don’t keep putting yourself in the same dangerous situation over and over again.” — Dr. Christa McIntyre, associate professor in cognition and neuroscience at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

WFAA 8

Summer Camp for Kids With Hearing Impairment Makes Lifelong Impact

Aug 8, 2022

“Goals that their parents probably would’ve told you in the beginning that wasn’t even possible for them. So it really makes a significant difference.” — Melissa Sweeney, UT Dallas Director of Clinical Speech and Language Pathology at the Callier Center for Communication Disorders.

The Dallas Morning News

UT Dallas Helps Kids With Hearing Disabilities Grow Skills Through Summer Camp

Aug 5, 2022

“The camp is a ‘novel’ setting for kids to use what they’ve learned in speech therapy and grow their skills around others who are working toward the same goals.” — Amber Stehlik, a speech-language pathologist and auditory verbal therapist at the UT Dallas Callier Center for Communication Disorders.

UT Dallas Magazine

High School Students Explore Science at UT Dallas

Aug 5, 2022

“The program provides a unique opportunity for high school students to learn about what it’s like to conduct research at a university, while delving into an advanced topic area that they are interested in.” — Dr. Kelly Jahn, assistant professor in the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 

North Texas Kids Enjoy Specialized Summer Camp Made for the Hearing-Impaired

Aug 3, 2022

The video features a study on co-parenting tactics for mealtime with young children. It cites two papers both published by Dr. Shayla Holub, associate professor and program head, Psychological Sciences, Psychology and Child Learning and Development and Dr. Jackie Nelson, associate professor in the Department of Psychology.

UT Dallas Magazine

Stroke of Genius

June, 2022

“This announcement means that stroke survivors all over the country can soon begin receiving a safe and effective therapy to improve their recovery.” — Dr. Michael Kilgard, the Margaret Fonde Jonsson Professor of Neuroscience and Interim Executive Director and Chief Science Officer of the Texas Biomedical Device Center at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 

UT Dallas Magazine

Cold Case Closer

May, 2022

“I’ve been involved in DNA testing and genetics my whole working life. For the last 20 years, I’ve focused primarily on medical research. Only recently did I become aware of the challenges in forensic science, and a group of us decided to see if we could make a difference helping solve cold cases.” — Dr. David Mittelman BS’01, 2022 Distinguished Alumni Award winner from UT Dallas. 

UT Dallas Magazine

Study Examines Chess Experts’ Visual Memory

May, 2022

“It’s almost like chess experts have snapshots of these positions; they demonstrate remarkable visuospatial working memory, given that the information is presented for less than half a second.” — Dr. Chandramallika Basak, assistant professor of psychology at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 

UT Dallas Magazine

Making Sense of Risky Financial Behavior in Older Adults

May, 2022

“When there’s a small chance of something big happening, like winning the lottery, people in general are drawn in – older adults even more so. My research is trying to figure out why.” — Dr. Kendra Seaman, assistant professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 

WFAA 8

From High School Dropout to Mayo Clinic Graduate: How Taekwondo Helped Get One Plano Man’s Life in Line

May 1, 2022

“So now I get to go live the dream. I was telling the program director I was beside myself in a stupor of happiness, and I just thanked her for the opportunity and for seeing worth in me that I don’t know if I see in myself.” — Adam Howard, Neuroscience graduate in the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

ABC 15

This Tiny Chip Could Revolutionize Treatment for Stroke Survivors

Apr 11, 2022

“It’s very unlikely we’ll be able to develop a new cure for treatment, so what else can we do? Our goal is to understand the brain to reprogram circuits so things that are happening that shouldn’t be happening, stop.” — Dr. Michael Kilgard, Margaret Fonde Jonsson Chair and professor of neuroscience.

UT Dallas Magazine

Audiology Expert Examines COVID-19 Challenges for Hearing-Impaired

Mar 9, 2022

“COVID-19 has demonstrated how reliant we are on visual cues to correctly interpret speech and how stressful it is to operate with reduced sources of information when we don’t have facial expressions to work with.” — Dr. Linda Thibodeau, professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 

Map of Pain Neurons May Lead to More Effective Drugs for Chronic Pain

Feb 16, 2022

“This is hopefully the start of many studies which produce more atlases that help us better understand the molecular architecture of the pain system in humans.” — Dr. Theodore Price, professor of neuroscience at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

The Washington Post

What to Do About Tinnitus, the Chronic Ringing in Your Ears

Feb 7, 2022

“After that, you’ll see an audiologist for a hearing check. Tinnitus can be a sign of hearing loss.” — Dr. Angela Shoup, professor at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences and Executive Director, Callier Center for Communication Disorders.

ASHA

Judy Rudebusch Rich Becomes 2022 President of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Jan 3, 2022

“I am honored to serve as ASHA’s 2022 President. I look forward to working collectively to eliminate barriers and make connections that activate ASHA’s vision of making communication, a human right, accessible and achievable for all.” — Dr. Judith Rich, Professor of Practice at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.